Nutrition per serving
Prepare for the fall season with this ginger iced and spiced loaf cake. It’s an absolute delight, regardless of whether you’re vegan or not.
- 100ml vegetable oils, plus an extra for the Tin
- Self-raising flour 275g
- 150g dark muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 50g of treacle
- 50g of stem ginger taken from the jar, finely chopped with 1 tsp from the syrup of ginger
- 150g icing sugar
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 4 stem ginger pieces that have crystallized are cut into pieces
- The oven should be set to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Oil a loaf tin that weighs 900g (ours was 19 x 9 x 6 cm) and cover with a long piece made of baking parchment. Combine the flour mixture, muscovado, baking powder, and ground ginger in an enormous bowl. Add the treacle, oil, grated stem ginger, and 170ml cold water. beat until it is smooth using the wooden spoon.
- Pour the cake batter into the tin you have prepared and bake in the middle in the oven for about 45-50 minutes until a skewer that has been inserted into the middle is clean. Allow sitting in the baking tin to cool for about 5 minutes and then transfer onto the wire rack to cool completely.
- Put the icing sugar in an empty bowl, then add the ginger syrup, and mix in only enough lemon juice to make a rich and pourable icing that will cover the spoon’s back. Place it on a platter or stand, then remove the parchment and drizzle on the icing. Sprinkle the stems with ginger. Slice the cake into thin slices and serve.