Nutrition per serving
This lunchtime treat is a combination of two favorite dishes: beans on toast and pizza. The whole family will love it
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained
- 4 large slices of sourdough bread, or any other bread you choose
- 125g mozzarella ball, torn
- To serve, ham or pepperoni sliced (optional).
- To serve: A small handful of chopped basil leaves.
- In a small saucepan, heat the oil on low heat. Once the oil has cooled, add the onion and fry for 10 minutes or until tender. Fry for another minute. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, 1/2 tsp sugar, and some seasoning. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Blend everything with a hand blender after 10 minutes. Add the beans to the pot and let it simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Turn the grill on high. Place the bread slices on a baking sheet and grill one side until lightly toasted. Flip the toast over and top with the bean mixture, mozzarella pieces, and ham slices, if desired. Slide under the hot grill for 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and spots are lightly golden. Before serving, sprinkle with basil leaves.