Nutrition per serving
Edwina Hanslo’s delicious and easy chocolate cake that has a smooth ganache is the ideal option for busy mothers.
- 100ml sunflower oil and extra oil for pan
- 175g of caster sugar
- 140g plain flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Chocolate sprinkles to serve
- 100g dark chocolate broken into pieces
- 5 tbsp double cream
- Make sure to grease a microwave-safe silicone cake pan with a bit of oil. Place a circle of baking parchment at the bottom.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and cocoa in the bowl. In a jug, mix eggs, oil vanilla, and 100ml hot water to combine.
- Add the liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well until you’ve got a smooth batter. Pour the batter into the cake pan, and then gently tap the pan to release all air bubbles. Cover with Cling film.
- Microwave on full Power (800 power) for 7 minutes. Take it off and verify that the cake has cooked by poking a wooden skewer into the middle. If it is clean, it is done. Let the cake stand for 5 minutes, after which take the cling film off and transfer it to the cooling rack.
- To make the ganache, melt the chocolate using Half the power (600 Watts) for 2 minutes and stir it every 30 seconds until it is completely melted. Add the cream, and blend thoroughly until it’s smooth and shiny.
- When the cake has cooled spread the ganache over the cake and sprinkle with the sprinkles. The cake will last until three days in an airtight container.